Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Architecture commission for Jessie Wright at Ocean House Road in Cape Elizabeth, ME, 1913–1924. The commission is associated with John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens Architects. This item is part of the Stevens Architects drawings and records collection.
Jessie Dillenback was born in Orleans New York, on the northeast shore of Lake Ontario, in 1859. In 1879 she married Augustus Ryker Wright of Seneca New York. Augustus was 36 years old and a successful canal and railroad builder who had ventured into buying, selling, and transporting coal. In the 1880s the Wrights moved to Portland and purchased a house, since destroyed, on Carleton Street in 1887.
In 1914 Jessie Wright purchased 30 acres of land bordering the Alewife Brook on the north shore of Cape Elizabeth. She hired Portland’s most esteemed architect, John Calvin Stevens to design a ‘cottage’ for Jessie and her family. It is still there and still in the family as is most of the estate to this day
About This Item
- Title: House for Jessie Wright, Cape Elizabeth, 1913-1924
- Address: Ocean House Road, Cape Elizabeth, Cumberland County, ME
- Clients: Jessie Wright; George F. Duncan
- Creation Date: 1913–1924
- Subject Date: 1913–1924
- Primary Architects: John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens Architects
- Contributors: E. C. Jordan & Co.
- Object Type: Text and Image
- Subtype: architectural drawing
- Media/Genre: floor plans; elevations; land surveys;
- Materials: graphite on tracing paper; graphite on linen; blueprints;
- Local Code: Coll. 209, 6-B-13
- Collection: Stevens Architects drawings and records collection
- Number of items in commission: 16
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
The copyright status is unknown to the contributing organization.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.