Contributed by Cary Library
This letter from W.H. Hammond was written to his wife from Arlington Heights shortly after leaving home as an enlisted man in the Civil War.
William H. Hammond, at the age of 30, joined the Union Army on a nine-month enlistment in December 1862 and was mustered out, along with the rest of his company, at the end of their enlistments in August 1863.
About This Item
- Title: W.H. Hammond letter to wife, ca. 1862
- Creator: H., Hammond W.
- Creation Date: circa 1862
- Subject Date: circa 1862
- Town: Arlington Heights, Houlton, Penobscot, Washington
- County: Aroostook, Bangor
- State: DC, ME, VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 19.5 cm x 12.2 cm
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Cary Library
107 Main Street, Houlton, ME 04730
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Military life
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
- Hammond, W. H.--Correspondence
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.