Contributed by Frye Island Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Leisure Living, Inc., constructed the Frye Island Community Center in 1972. At the time of construction, it was possible to view Sebago Lake from the Community Center. Over the years, the tree growth obstructed the view of the lake.
Leisure Living filed for bankruptcy in 1976 and sold Frye Island to the owners of the approximately 70 cottages.
The Community Center continues to be a very active place, housing the Recreation Department, the Church, and the Library. In 2022, the Frye Island Community Center will undergo renovations.
About This Item
- Title: Community Center, Frye Island, ca. 1970
- Creation Date: circa 1970
- Subject Date: circa 1970
- Local Name: Community Center
- Town: Frye Island
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 2.5 cm x 3.8 cm
- Collection: Frye Island Historical Photos: Community Center
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Community Centers--Maine--Frye Island
- Frye Island (Me.)
- Frye Island (Me.)--History.
- Sebago Lake (Me.)
- Social & civic facilities--Maine--Frye Island
- Land developers
- Land speculation
- Real estate
- Sebago Lake
For more information about this item, contact:Frye Island Historical Society
1 Sunset Road, Frye Island, ME 04071
The copyright status is unknown to the contributing organization.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.