Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Passamaquoddy Indian Francis Joseph Neptune drew this map of the Cobscook River area on July 12th, 1798 in the presence of Robert Pagan who was sent to the area to learn about the St. Croix River for British Commissioner Thomas Barclay.
During treaty negotiations between the British and the Americans, the "true" St. Croix River was in dispute. The St. Croix was mentioned in the Treaty of Paris of 1783 as the northeast boundary between the United States and Canada, but a number of rivers in that area bore the name "St. Croix."
Robert Pagan drew over the lines of this map with pen at a later date.
About This Item
- Title: Francis Joseph Neptune map, Cobscook River, 1798
- Creator: Neptune, Francis Joseph
- Creation Date: 1798
- Subject Date: 1798
- County: Washington
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 38 cm x 58 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 26, Map F 22
- Collection: Barclay collection
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Cobscook Bay (Me.)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- Cobscook River (Me.)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- Canada--Boundaries--United States--Maps
- Barclay, Thomas, 1753-1830
- Northeast boundary of the United States--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- United States--Boundaries--Canada--Maps
- East Machias River (Me.)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- Indians of North America--Maine--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- Saint Croix River (Me.)
- Hadley Lake (Me.)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- Machias Bay (Me.)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.