Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Annie May Colby (1866-1955) and her daughter, Verlie May Colby (1891-1992) posed as they were picking blackberries.
Westport Island was rich with berries in summer months like blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. In the 1920s and 1930s when market gardening was a source of income, Westport Islanders boated to neighboring islands with their bounty of berries and produce to supply summer residents.
About This Item
- Title: Picking blackberries, Westport Island, ca. 1907
- Creation Date: circa 1907
- Subject Date: circa 1907
- Town: Westport Island
- County: Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 12.9 cm x 10.3 cm
- Collection: Colby Greenleaf Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Berry pickers--Maine--Westport Island
- Families--Maine--Westport Island
- Fruit pickers--Maine--Westport Island
- Group portraits--Maine--Westport Island
- Westport Island (Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Westport Island History Committee
6 Fowles Point Road, Westport Island, ME 04578
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.