Contributed by Maine Historical Society
The Maine Central Railroad offered excursion rates to the fourth annual track games of the Harold T. Andrews Post at the Exposition Building in Portland. Collegiate athletes were invited from Harvard, Dartmouth, Georgetown, Bates, the University of Maine, and other universities. Independent athletes were also invited, and spectators could expect to see stars such as Edvin Wide, Harold Osborne, Lloyd Hahn, and E.M. Wells, all world champions of their respective events.
The meet would also feature a local rivalry, as Thornton Academy and Bridgton Academy were scheduled to compete against each other in the relay race.
About This Item
- Title: American Legion Track Games excursion flyer, Portland, 1927
- Creator: Maine Central Railroad
- Creation Date: 1927
- Subject Date: 1927-02-18
- Location: Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 52 cm x 22.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1873, Box 1/15
- Collection: Maine Central Railroad Company excursion broadsides
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- American Legion. Harold T. Andrews Post, No. 17 (Portland, Me.)
- College sports
- Exhibition buildings--Maine--Portland
- Maine Central Railroad Company
- Track and field--Maine--Portland
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.