Contributed by Mercy Hospital
Starting with the class of 1933, graduates of the Mercy Hospital School of Nursing began a tradition of traveling to Little Diamond Island for an all-day outdoor adventure at the Catholic Sisters of Mercy's Sacred Heart Villa.
The students were often chaperoned by a few members of the faculty, leaving Portland early in the morning and returning in the evening. The student nurses played games, snacked, swam, took nature walks, and enjoyed a picnic.
About This Item
- Title: Retreat on Little Diamond Island, Portland, ca. 1952
- Creator: Mercy Hospital
- Creation Date: 1952
- Subject Date: 1952
- Local Name: Great Diamond Island
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 7.6 cm x 10.2 cm
- Collection: Mercy Hospital Historic Archive
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Portland (Me.)
- Group portraits--Maine--Portland
- Health care personnel--Maine--Portland
- Health education
- Medical education
- Mercy Hospital (Portland, Me.)
- Sisters of Mercy.
For more information about this item, contact:Mercy Hospital
144 State Street, Portland, ME 04101
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.