Contributed by Mercy Hospital
Starting with the class of 1933, graduates of the Mercy Hospital School of Nursing began a tradition of traveling to Little Diamond Island for an all-day outdoor adventure at the Catholic Sisters of Mercy's Sacred Heart Villa.
The students were often chaperoned by a few members of the faculty, leaving Portland early in the morning and returning in the evening. The student nurses played games, snacked, swam, took nature walks, and enjoyed a picnic.
About This Item
- Title: Retreat on Little Diamond Island, Portland, ca. 1952
- Creator: Mercy Hospital
- Creation Date: 1952
- Subject Date: 1952
- Local Name: Great Diamond Island
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 7.6 cm x 10.2 cm
- Collection: Mercy Hospital Historic Archive
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Mercy Hospital
144 State Street, Portland, ME 04101
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
More to Consider
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Catholic Church. Diocese of Portland (Me.)
- Group portraits--Maine--Portland
- Health care personnel--Maine--Portland
- Health education
- Medical education
- Mercy Hospital (Portland, Me.)
- Sisters of Mercy.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.