Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Portland Day Nursery taught children to knit as one of the daily activities. A full-page article about the nursery ran in the April 18, 1923 Portland Evening Express, although this picture was not used. According to the article, care was supervised by a nurse, Mrs. Marion Chaumont, and her staff.
Founded in 1916, the Portland Day Nursery eventually became Catherine Morrill Day Nursery.
About This Item
- Title: Children knitting at the Portland Day Nursery, Portland, 1923
- Creation Date: circa 1923
- Subject Date: circa 1923
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Glass Negative
- Dimensions: 8.3 cm x 10.8 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1949, 2005.061.10294
- Collection: Portland Press Herald glass negative collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Nursery schools--Maine--Portland
- Portland Baby Hygiene and Child Welfare Association
- Portland Day Nursery (Portland, Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.