Courtesy of Jan Pieter Van Voorst Van Beest, an individual partner
Not available for reproduction or licensing. More info.
Jelilat Oyetunji immigrated from Nigeria to Maine at twenty-four with one identity, as a Nigerian college student. She found herself a decade later with a broader one, as a Muslim woman who thinks across national borders and speaks with a strong and effective voice for change. “I want my daughters to know it’s okay for a Muslim woman, with or without a headdress, to do whatever she wants to do.” said Oyetunji in 2009.
About This Item
- Title: Jelilat Oyetunji, South Portland, 2009
- Creator: Jan Pieter Van Voorst Van Beest
- Creation Date: 2009
- Subject Date: 2009
- South Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Digital photograph
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Emigration & immigration--United States
- Emigration and immigration--Nigeria
- Immigrants--United States--Maine--South Portland
- University of Southern Maine
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.