Contributed by Mantor Library at UMF
By the 1940s, Farmington State Teacher College had outgrown its small library in the main administration building, and needed more space to better serve the students. A new building, which included a library, was constructed and opened in spring 1956.
On the afternoon of May 17, 1956, classes were cancelled so students and faculty could help move the books from Merrill Hall to the new Library-Classroom building. Under the guidance of Agnes Mantor and assistant librarian Amelia Phetzing, the books were moved brigade-style into the new Edith Clifford Memorial Reading Room, named after the 1890 alumnae and library benefactress whose gift of $50,000 upon her death created an endowment to help support and sustain a library at the college.
These student volunteers, gathered outside the main entrance on South Street, are happily waiting their turn to shelve books in the new stacks.
The first six people in the front row, from left, are members of the class of 1956: Geraldine Mishou, Rita Foley, June Douglas, Shirley Martin, Maralie O’Brien and John Hosie.
About This Item
- Title: Library moving day, Farmington, 1956
- Creation Date: 1956-05-17
- Subject Date: 1956-05-17
- Town: Farmington
- County: Franklin
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 12.5 cm x 18 cm
- Local Code: Mantor Library V.F.
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Farmington State Normal School (Me.)
- Farmington State Teachers College (Me.)
- University of Maine Farmington
- Mantor, Agnes P.--Commemoration
- Farmington State Teachers College (Me.)--Faculty
- Universities and colleges--Faculty
- Women college teachers--Maine
- University of Maine at Farmington. Library
- Mishou, Geraldine G
- Foley, Rita E
- Douglas, June W
- Martin, Shirley G
- O'Brien, Maralie
- Hosie, John D
- Clifford, Edith
- Mantor, Agnes P.
- Phetzing, Amelia
- Agnes P. Mantor
- college students
- Edith Clifford
- Farmington State Teachers College
- Mantor Library
- Merrill Hall
- reading room
- University of Maine at Farmington
For more information about this item, contact:Mantor Library at UMF
University of Maine at Farmington, 116 South Street, Farmington, ME 04938
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.