In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine Memory Network

Industry & Commerce

Last of the Byther Block buildings, Steuben, ca. 1915

Last of the Byther Block buildings, Steuben, ca. 1915

Item 88004 info
Penobscot Marine Museum

This general store on Spruce Street (today Roger’s Point Road) in Steuben was owned by David and Dora Smith in the early 1900s.

In later years, the store was owned by the Parritt family and part of the Nation Wide cooperative of independent grocers. It had been part of a group of stores called the Byther Block.

The Byther Block was torn down leaving the general store building. Byther was a lawyer and prominent businessman in Steuben who lived in a large house on the village green.


Item 32 of 32