Shaarey Tphiloh synagogue, Portland, ca. 1911Item 76 info
Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
The congregation built Shaarey Tphiloh in 1904 on Newbury Street, in the area of Portland where most Jewish residents -- and many other immigrant groups -- lived.
Invited to the cornerstone ceremony were civic leaders, including Mayor James P. Baxter, and Christian clergy.
Isaac Marcus, a native of Russia, who probably came to Portland from Utica, New York, was the first rabbi. He stayed in Portland until about 1910.