Cape Porpoise Trestle and Terminal, ca. 1900-1914Item 29155 info
Kennebunkport Historical Society
Cape Porpoise was one location where freight was transferred from barges and schooners onto cars pulled by an electric locomotive.
Atlantic Shore Line Railway locomotive #100, for example, pulled cars loaded with coal from Cape Porpoise.
To enable ships to reach the docks, the outer harbor of Cape Porpoise was dredged in 1899 using $125,000 in funds appropriated by Congress.
Eventually the harbor silted in once again.