View of High Street, Belfast, ca. 1875
This view of High Street, looking towards Primrose Hill, shows some of the earliest commercial buildings in the city. Phoenix Row, with its six storefronts, shown with the six chimneys on the right, was a three-story brick building built in 1824. In one of the third stories was a large social hall, Phoenix Hall. The hall was used for social and political gatherings and was headquarters and armory of the Belfast City Greys, the local militia unit prior to the Civil War. The buildings burned on June 12, 1887, but were quickly rebuilt.