Monument Square, Abbot, ca. 1900
The Civil War monument was donated to the town of Abbot by Peleg and Sarah Washburn in memory of those serving the Union cause during the Civil War. Washburn was too advanced in age to serve during the war but chose to show his appreciation of the loss suffered by the soldiers by erecting a monument in their memory. Dedication ceremonies took place in June 1893. Hescocks general store served the residents of Abbot for many years as he carried groceries, boots, shoes, dry goods and grains. The building was demolished in the late 1950s.