The Arcade, East Machias, 1927Item 88016 info
Penobscot Marine Museum
R. K. Dennison of East Machias built the Arcade in 1926 along Route 1 in East Machias. It was a popular destination for locals and tourists alike.
It had a theater with 500 seats; the movie “Knockout Reilly” with Richard Dix was being shown when this photo was taken in 1927.
It also had an ice cream parlor and dining room.
Across the road was a boarding house, and three overnight cabins were available for travelers. Rooms rented for $1 a night. Gasoline and oil were also available.
The Arcade burned in a fire.