The Summit House Hotel in South Bristol Village, ca. 1910Item 79563 info
South Bristol Historical Society
It was not long before hotels began to appear to supplement the offerings of the local boarding houses.
In the village of South Bristol, Nelson Gamage built the Summit House in 1892. Perched atop the rise on Rutherford Island south of the Gut, the hotel had expansive views of the Damariscotta River to the west, the busy South Bristol harbor to the north, and the eastern Gut and Johns Bay on the East.