Original Forest Paper Co. mill, Yarmouth, ca. 1880Item 67653 info
Yarmouth Historical Society
Located on the east bank of Royal River's "Third Falls," Yarmouth Paper Company operated from 1865 to 1870, when it burned to the ground.
In 1872, the wooden buildings shown in the photograph were erected and began producing soda pulp for paper production. It was the first mill of its kind in New England.
When G.W. Hammond and S.D. Warren purchased the mill in 1874, they renamed the operation Forest Paper Company and quickly began the construction of new, modern brick buildings to keep up with the rapidly changing times.
Soon, the majority of the structures on Forest Paper Company's 10 acres of property were constructed of brick and these wooden buildings were put out of commission or torn down.