Garde d’Honneur, Association St. Dominique, Lewiston, ca. 1920
Back row, 2nd from right, Joseph Gendron.
Honor guard of the Association St. Dominique, a fraternal organization for Lewiston's young Franco-Americans. Many Franco-American parishes across New England maintained military societies in which young men conducted drills, marched in parades and took part in regional conventions. Although Lewiston did not possess a society of this sort, the ASD honor guard is typical of the same spirit of patriotism and drive for civic engagement that inspired them.
The ASD was founded by Dominican Father Paul Duchaussoy in 1896 to provide “a useful and honest outlet for their leisure time.” It maintained a successful hockey team for many years. The club disbanded in 1941 when its clubhouse was converted into the first St. Dominic’s High School.