Contributed by Maine State Archives
Sylvanus B. Bean of Brownfield was 43 when he enlisted in Co. A. of the 11th Maine Infantry in November 1861 as a 1st lieutenant.
In November 1862, he was promoted to full captain in the U.S. Volunteers Quartermaster's Department.
He was promoted to full major in May 1865 and mustered out in May 1866.
At the bottom of the image is written, "S.B. Bean 1st Lt. Co. A 11th Me Vols Prom to Capt & AQM US Vols."
Written on the top of the carte de visite is "Recd July 16, 1861[?]," which is when the office of Maine Adjutant General John Hodsdon received it.
After the war, Bean was postmaster in Brownfield. He died in 1894.
About This Item
- Title: Sylvanus B. Bean, Brownfield, ca. 1861
- Creation Date: circa 1861
- Subject Date: 1861
- Town: Brownfield
- County: Oxford
- State: ME
- Media: Carte de visite
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine State Archives
84 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0084
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Bean, Sylvanus B., d. 1894--Portrait photographs
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 11th (1861-1866). Company A
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.