Contributed by Belfast Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Members of the Civil War veterans organization, the Thomas H Marshall Post, No. 42, Grand Army of the Republic, stand in formation on High Street in Belfast in this circa 1886 photograph.
The Belfast GAR post formed in 1881 and, in 1886, began using the second floor of a building located on High Street for their reunions and meetings
It is possible that this photograph shows the veterans preparing to lead Decoration Day exercises in 1887.
The photographer, Edward N. Wight, worked in Belfast from 1886 to 1888.
About This Item
- Title: Thomas H. Marshall Post GAR parade, Belfast, ca. 1886
- Creator: Wight, Edward N
- Creation Date: circa 1886
- Subject Date: circa 1886
- Town: Belfast
- County: Waldo
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 13 cm x 21.5 cm
- Local Code: 040036
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Belfast Historical Society
10 Market Street, Belfast, ME 04915
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- High Street (Belfast, Me.)
- Group portraits
- Grand Army of the Republic
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Veterans
- Grand Army of the Republic. Thomas H. Marshall Post No. 42 (Belfast, Me.)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.