Contributed by Maine Historical Society
This map of Passamaquoddy Bay and the Grand Manan area was one of a series of maps drawn to help determine the northeast boundary between the United States and Canada.
The map was copied from surveys by George Sproule.
"Map to accompany and elucidate the memorial of the agent of His Britannic Majesty in reply to the memorial of the agent of the United States in support of their claim to the islands in the Bay of Passamaquoddy and Grand Manan in the Bay of Fundy Sept. 1817."Scale [1:506,880] ca. 10 miles to 2.5 inches.
About This Item
- Title: Passamaquoddy Bay, Grand Manan map, 1817
- Creator: Bouchette, Joseph
- Creation Date: 1817
- Subject Date: 1817
- County: Washington
- State: ME, NB
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 86 cm x 57 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 26, Map F 39
- Collection: Barclay Collection
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Grand Manan Island (N.B.)--Maps, Manuscript
- United States--Boundaries--Canada--Maps, Manuscript
- Northeast boundary of the United States--Maps, Manuscript
- Canada--Boundaries--United States--Maps, Manuscript
- Passamaquoddy Bay (N.B. and Me.)--Maps, Manuscript
- Great Britain--Treaties, etc.--United States--1814 Dec. 24
- Treaty of Ghent (1814)--4th article
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.