Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Franklin C. Kimball of Portland used the folding utensils from his enlistment in Co. F of the 5th Maine Infantry in June 1861 until he was mustered out three years later, in July 1864. Kimball was not quite 17 when he enlisted.
The popular utensils provided a spoon, two-pronged fork, and knife in one easy-to-carry package.
About This Item
- Title: Franklin Kimball folding utensils, ca. 1861
- Creator: Army Knife Co., Naugatuck, CT
- Creation Date: circa 1861
- Subject Date: circa 1861
- Media: Metal, wood
- Local Code: PA106
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment & supplies
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1864)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.