Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Holman Melcher (1841-1905) hand wrote remarks to make at his second inauguration as mayor of Portland in 1890. He served as mayor for two terms, 1889 and 1890.
Melcher, a native of Topsham, was a wholesale grocer. He was active in various civic groups, including Civil War veterans' organizations. He enlisted in the 20th Maine as a corporal in August 1862, interrupting his studies at the Maine State Seminary (later Bates College).
He was promoted to sergeant major, lieutenant and captain, and breveted as a major.
About This Item
- Title: Holman Melcher mayoral address, Portland, 1890
- Creator: Melcher, Holman Staples
- Creation Date: 1890
- Subject Date: 1890
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 28 cm x 21 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1649
- Collection: Holman Melcher scrapbook
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Municipal officials--Maine--Portland
- Political elections--Maine--Portland
- Public speaking--Maine--Portland
- Rites & ceremonies--Maine--Portland
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.