Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Capt. Holman Melcher of Co. F of the 20th Maine Volunteers wrote and signed a sworn statement that a batten and snare drum heads that he returned were "worn out in the Public Service - by use in the Drum Corps of the 20th Regt. Maine Volunteers."
When the items were returned, Melcher was a 1st lieutenant and acting adjutant of Co. F and wrote that the regiment was in "active operations" and he could not then fill out the proper paperwork.
The document appears to be a draft of the one he sent to headquarters.
About This Item
- Title: Holman Melcher certificate of condition of equipment, Virginia, 1865
- Creator: Melcher, Holman S.
- Creation Date: 1865
- Subject Date: 1865
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 25.3 cm x 20 cm
- Local Code: Coll. S-1964, Misc. Box 94/14
- Collection: Holman Melcher papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Drums (Musical instruments)--American
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment and supplies
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.