Contributed by Maine Historical Society
President James Buchanan wrote to George F. Shepley, the U.S. Attorney for the District of Maine, to forward depositions from the U.S. Consul at Harvre, France, about Charles C. Duncan (1821-1898), master of the Swanton, who was charged with illegally leaving a member of his crew, William Locke, in Harvre.
Shepley, a Portland lawyer, had been named U.S. Attorney shortly before receiving the documents from the president.
About This Item
- Title: Pres. Buchanan letter about Bath ship, Washington, 1848
- Creator: Buchanan, James
- Creation Date: 1848-12-19
- Subject Date: 1848
- Town: Bath, Portland, Washington
- County: Cumberland, Sagadahoc
- State: DC, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 34 cm x 21 cm
- Local Code: Coll. S-1261, Misc. Box 59/26
- Collection: Presidential documents and autographs collected by George Foster Shepley
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.