New Quarry, Monson, ca. 1915
According to information written on the back of this photograph the Portland-Monson Slate Company this image shows the opening a new slate quarry, ca. 1915. The hoist and derrick in the background are a new addition and the first time an electric hoist was in operation. This new operation is in the infant stages with the men having drilled and removed about 15 feet of slate below the topsoil shown on the left. The pneumatic drill in the front is moved by the temporary track which can be taken from location to location as needed. In back of the quarry are two men who have chained a large piece of slate and are waiting for it to be lifted to the surface by the hoisterman. Slate pilings shore up the ground around the derrick.