Contributed by Monson Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Photo of the Portland-Monson Slate Company in Monson from about the turn of the century. The view looks west and includes the pit booms and hoists that were used to transport men into the quarry and also to bring the slate out.
The men located around the hoister house appear to be either waiting to go down into the quarry or have just been lifted out.
About This Item
- Title: Portland-Monson Slate Company, Monson, ca. 1890
- Creation Date: circa 1890
- Subject Date: circa 1890
- Town: Monson
- County: Piscataquis
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 16.6 cm x 21.3 cm
- Local Code: MHS-110-034
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Monson Historical Society
PO Box 308, Monson, ME 04464
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Slate quarrying--Maine--Monson
- Mining equipment--Maine--Monson
- People associated with manual labor--Maine--Monson
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.