Contributed by Maine Historical Society
A list of offices for Maine delegates for the 1868 Republican National Convention include George F. Shepley as chairman. Shepley had been a delegate to the 1860 Democratic National Convention.
While there, he met Benjamin Butler, who facilitated Shepley being named commander of the 12th Maine Regiment. Shepley switched parties at the end of the war.
The list includes other offices and nominees for the Maine Republican Party.
About This Item
- Title: Republican delegates to national convention, 1868
- Creation Date: 1868
- Subject Date: 1868
- Town: Chicago, Norridgewock, Portland
- County: Cumberland, Somerset
- State: IL, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 24.6 cm x 19.6 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 4/7
- Collection: George F. Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Political conventions--Illinois--Chicago
- Shepley, George F. (George Foster), 1860-1903--Correspondence
- Shepley, George F.
- Lindrey, S. D.
- Fessenden, T. A. D.
- Plaisted, Harris H.
- Hale, Eugene
- Barter, Lewis
- Hubbard, Wales
- Harriman, William P.
- Sargeant, Ignatius