Contributed by Maine Historical Society
George W. French (1882-1970) photographed this winter scene. French took photographs to promote Maine's economic and recreational potential.
Born in Kezar Falls, French graduated from Bates College in 1908, taught school for a while, worked for the Boy Scout of America in New Jersey, and in 1922 started his career as a photographer.
In 1936 French was back in Maine and employed by the Development Commission where he worked for 19 years.
About This Item
- Title: Child with fish, ca. 1915
- Creator: French, George Washington
- Creation Date: circa 1915
- Subject Date: circa 1915
- Media: Photo negative
- Dimensions: 12.5 cm x 17.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 4015, Box 7
- Collection: George French and Fred Philpot photograph collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.