Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
An enterprising Central Maine Power lineman constructed his own insulated tool in about 1920 by replacing this hammer's wooden handle with a steel pipe, and then covering the pipe with braided fiberglass cloth and rubber insulation.
Safety equipment was especially important for the line workers who erected utility poles and strung cable.
About This Item
- Title: Hammer with insulated handle, ca. 1920
- Creation Date: circa 1920
- Subject Date: circa 1920
- Media: Iron, wood, plastic
- Local Code: 2004.090.4117
- Collection: Central Maine Power Company collection
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.