Messalonskee dam, Oakland, ca. 1900
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Walter Wyman and his partner, Harvey Doane Eaton purchased the Oakland Electric Light Company and its small water-powered turbine and generator on Messalonskee stream in Oakland in 1899.
They replaced the old unit in 1901 when they created the Messalonskee Electric Company to power streetlights in nearby Waterville. The joint project was the beginning of Central Maine Power Co.