Portland Water District construction, Sebago Lake, ca. 1924
Contributed by Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
The caption to this photo when it appeared in the Portland Evening Express & Advertiser on December 9, 1924, was "The South Portal."
Portland Water District workers were building a new intake and conduit from Sebago Lake. The photo shows the point where the work changed from a ditch to a tunnel and where the workers fought against quicksand.
The pipe line is about 40 feet below the surface at this point.
- Title: Portland Water District construction, Sebago Lake, ca. 1924
- Creator: Portland Press Herald, Portland Evening Express & Advertiser
- Creation Date: circa 1924
- Subject Date: circa 1924
- Town: Standish
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: glass negative
- Dimensions (cm): 8 x 11
- Local Code: Coll. 1949_9373; 2005.061.9373
- Collection: Portland Press Herald Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society/MaineToday Media
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.