Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Mary E. Randall, secretary of the Board of Managers of the Children's Home of the Protestant Episcopal Church in New Orleans wrote to Gen. George F. Shepley, military commandant of the city and military governor of Louisiana, to thank him for a $50 donation.
She wrote, "The present Financial distress of the City, renders this unsolicited donation truly acceptable."
Shepley, a Portland lawyer and later judge, went to New Orleans as commander of the 12th Maine Regiment, but was soon promoted to commander of the 3rd Brigade and then to the governing positions when Union forces captured New Orleans.
About This Item
- Title: Thank you note for Shepley donation, New Orleans, 1862
- Creator: Randall, Mary E.
- Creation Date: 1862-07-10
- Subject Date: 1862
- Town: New Orleans
- State: LA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 22 cm x 17.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 1/8
- Collection: George Foster Shepley papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- War destruction & pillage--Louisiana--New Orleans
- Military occupations--Louisiana--New Orleans
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Orphanages--Louisiana--New Orleans
- Episcopal Church
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.