Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Col. William K. Kimball, commander of the 12th Maine Infantry stationed in New Orleans, wrote to Acting Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, to report on successful completion of an order to lead an expedition to capture a Rebel battery.
Kimball (1820-1975), who enlisted as lieutenant colonel in Co. S of the 12th Maine on Nov. 15, 1861, was a lawyer from Paris, Maine. He was 41 when he enlisted. He was promoted to full colonel about a month after this letter was written and promoted to brevet brigadier general in March 1865.
Shepley, a lawyer from Portland, also enlisted in the 12th Maine in November 1861 as a colonel. He was placed in command of the 3rd Brigade when his regiment arrived at Ship Island, Mississippi, in February 1862, then became military commandant of New Orleans after that city's surrender, then military governor of Louisiana.
Kimball concluded his report, "General, I cannot conclude my report, in justice to the officers connected with the expedition, as well as to those of my own Regt. and to the men of their several commands, until I express to you my full confidence in their gallantry, courage & discipline, as exhibited during the entire expedition."
About This Item
- Title: Col. William Kimball report on capture of battery, New Orleans, 1862
- Creator: Kimball, William K.
- Creation Date: 1862-06-21
- Subject Date: 1862
- Town: New Orleans
- State: LA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 24.7 cm x 19.7 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 117, Box 1/7
- Collection: George F. Shepley Papers
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Military occupations--Louisiana--New Orleans
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864)
- Seizures--Louisiana--New Orleans
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military service--1860-1870
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.