Contributed by Mantor Library at UMF
Alice Ruth Mullen, class of 1914, presented this hand-painted school hymn to Normal School teacher Carolyn Stone.
Lillian Lincoln wrote the hymn, "O Mother Normal," and several other schooll songs during the history of Farmington State Normal School, now known as University of Maine at Farmington.
Like other school songs, it touts loyalty and pride and takes the form of new lyrics for an existing tune. "O Mother Normal" is sung to the tune of "To Thee, O Country."
Miss Lincoln also wrote a song "Memories" in 1925 about her time at the school.
About This Item
- Title: Farmington State Normal School Hymn Painting, ca. 1914
- Creator: Mullen, Alice Ruth
- Creation Date: circa 1914
- Subject Date: circa 1914
- Town: Farmington
- County: Franklin
- State: ME
- Media: painting
- Dimensions: 27 cm x 22 cm
- Collection: Personnel V.F.
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Mantor Library at UMF
University of Maine at Farmington, 116 South Street, Farmington, ME 04938
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- University of Maine Farmington--History
- Farmington State Normal School (Me.)
- Farmington State Teachers College (Me.)
- College students--Maine--Farmington
- Carolyn Stone
- Farmington State Normal School
- Lillian Lincoln
- school song
- University of Maine at Farmington
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.