Contributed by Sebago Historical Society
William Haley, Jr. writes from Winchester, Virginia to his wife, Miriam about a new law for state aid for children under the age of 12 and wonders if it has been changed from age 15 to 12 and asks her to find out the particulars.
He gives Miriam advice about caring for the cow, Grizly, hoping that she will have a hand to milk her.
He requests that their daughter Elzira stay in school and not work in a factory or get married until he gets home. He says the news is good for the army and that the ”rebs cannot stand out much longer.”
He interrupts his letter to care for his horses and wishes he could drive his ambulance in the Brigade review but it is being painted.
He mentions war rumors and closes with the news that Sheridan has captured three infantry brigades and 18 cannon. “Bully for him.”
About This Item
- Title: Letter from William Haley Jr, in Winchester, VA to his wife Miriam, 1865
- Creator: Haley, Jr., William
- Creation Date: 1865-04-01
- Subject Date: 1865-04-01
- Local Name: Convene
- Town: Petersburg, Richmond, Sebago, Winchester
- County: Cumberland, Frederick
- State: ME, VA
- Media: ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.32 cm x 13 cm
- Local Code: W4.11
- Collection: Haley Family Letters
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Sebago Historical Society
PO Box 59, Sebago, ME 04029
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment and supplies
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives
- Maine--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Haley family
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Haley, William H.--Correspondence
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Social aspects
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 30th (1863-1865). Company E
- Haley, Jr., William
- Haley, Miriam Pugsley
- Haley, John (Johny) F.
- Haley, Wiliam (Billy) W.
- Haley, Elzira M.
- Haley, Sr., Wiliam
- Gammon, Susan
- Meserve, Abram Cousins
- Davis, Charles
- Meserve, John
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.