View of State Park, Augusta, ca. 1938
Contributed by Boston Public Library
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Augusta State Park, or Capital Park, is comprised of the land between the State House and the Kennebec River. It is the earliest known, consciously designed public ground in Maine. The intent of the design was to create a dignified setting for viewing the State Capitol Building along with other public functions.
The Park has survived many historic uses. During the Civil War it was used as a camp site and parade ground. After the war the land was leased for farming, but by 1878 the site was restored to its former appearance.
In 1851 the railroad bisected the lower end of the Park, a use which has been abandoned. Then in 1920 Frederick Law Olmsted's firm was commissioned by Governor Miliken to prepare a plan for the Capitol grounds, Capitol Park, the adjoining Driving Park to the south and neighboring Blaine House grounds. According to the plan, Capitol park would be used passively; and the adjoining municipal park would provide opportunity for activity, thus joining the two parks into one.
The Tichnor Brothers printing company published this type of postcard circa 1938 as part of their Maine series. These, and other postcards, by the Tichnor Brothers Company are officially known as the Tichnor Gloss Series because the photographs were notoriously retouched on such a level that does not allow the postcards to be classified as photographs or paintings. Title reads, "View of State Park from capitol, Augusta, Maine."
- Title: View of State Park, Augusta, ca. 1938
- Creator: Tichnor Bros., Inc.
- Creation Date: circa 1938
- Subject Date: circa 1938
- Town: Augusta
- County: Kennebec
- State: ME
- Media: Linen texture postcard
- Dimensions: 9 cm x 14 cm
- Collection: The Tichnor Brothers Collection
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:
Boston Public Library
700 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02116
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings