Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Deborah Friend of Saco sought the help of the Maine Agency Sanitary Commission in October 1864 to gain information about her husband, Dennis Friend, a private in Co. B of the 5th Maine Infantry Regiment.
She said he had been taken prisoner in November 1863 and was held at Andersonville prison. She had not heard from him for more than five months.
Friend had enlisted on August 27, 1862 when he was 37 years old. He was reportedly "mustered out" on July 27, 1864, which was the end of the enlistment period for his regiment. However, he is listed in the Maine Adjutant General's report only as having been taken prisoner in November 1863.
About This Item
- Title: Letter seeking information on POW husband, Saco, 1864
- Creator: Friend, Deborah
- Creation Date: 1864
- Subject Date: 1864
- Town: Saco
- County: York
- State: ME, VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 19.5 cm x 11.4 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1533, Box 2/1
- Collection: Maine Agency Sanitary Commission records
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States Sanitary Commission
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners and prisons
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Civilian relief
- Maine Agency Sanitary Commission
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1864)
- Friend, Deborah--Correspondence
- Andersonville Prison
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.