Soldiers' monument, Lewiston, 1868
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Soldiers' Monument in Lewiston was dedicated February 28, 1868. The granite pedestal is 11 feet high and the bronze figure 6 feet 9 inches tall. Bronze plaques the four sides each have an inscription and the names of the men from Lewiston who gave their lives in the Civil War. The image is from Harper's Weekly: A Journal of Civilization, Volume XII April 25, 1868, page 268. The monument is attributed to Franklin Simmons, a noted sculptor and Lewiston native. According to a Lewiston Board of Trade publication in 1904, it may be the first such monument erected in the U.S. after the Civil War.