1917-18 Photo Album Cover, University of Maine Farmington
In 1917, America went to war, and an unknown female student arrived at the Farmington Normal School. This lively girl chronicled a year in the life of a college student in the pages of a handmade photo album, capturing memories of "jolly times" shared with friends. A postcard of "Purington Hall - New Dormitory, Farmington Normal School" is pasted to the cover of the album. Purington Hall was the first dormitory built specifically to house the school's growing student population. It opened in the fall of 1914. The creator of the album writes: "A place that is always dear to an F.S.N.S. girl. Here's where Ma Allen made us keep "The Golden Rule" and we loved her just the same". Mrs. L. Estelle "Ma" Allen was a longtime dormitory Matron at the Normal School, first at Purington Hall and then South Hall when it opened in 1924.