Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Grenville Sparrow of Portland, who served in the Maine 17th Infantry Regiment, poses with three unidentified friends.
Sparrow enlisted in August 1862 as a sergeant. He was later promoted to 2nd and then 1st lieutenant and finally to captain in June 1864.
The 17th Maine saw action in 30 battles of the Civil War, including Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg.
About This Item
- Title: Grenville Sparrow and friends, ca. 1864
- Creation Date: circa 1864
- Subject Date: circa 1864
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Tintype
- Dimensions: 6.3 cm x 10 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2293, Carte de visite album
- Collection: Grenville F. Sparrow Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Sparrow, Granville Fontaine, 1837-1907
- Sparrow, Granville, Fontaine, 1837-1907--Friends & associates
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1861-1865)
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Eating & drinking
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.