Headstone, unknown Confederate soldier, Gray
Contributed by Maine Historical Society
In 1862 a grieving Gray family opened a coffin that was supposed to contain the body of their son. Instead they found the body of a stranger, a confederate soldier in uniform.
The gravestone reads, "Stranger, A soldier of the late war died 1862, Erected by the ladies of Gray."
- Title: Headstone, unknown Confederate soldier, Gray
- Creator: Willman, Eugene S.
- Creation Date: 1979
- Subject Date: 1979
- Town: Gray
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Black and white photograph
- Dimensions (cm): 26 x 21
- Local Code: Coll. 1880 1/4
- Collection: United Press International (UPI)
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:
Maine Historical Society
489 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
If you'd like to privately share a comment with MMN staff, please use this form.