Contributed by Maine Historical Society
In 1862 a grieving Gray family opened a coffin that was supposed to contain the body of their son. Instead they found the body of a stranger, a confederate soldier in uniform.
The gravestone reads, "Stranger, A soldier of the late war died 1862, Erected by the ladies of Gray."
About This Item
- Title: Headstone, unknown Confederate soldier, Gray
- Creator: Willman, Eugene S.
- Creation Date: 1979
- Subject Date: 1979
- Town: Gray
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 26 cm x 21 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 1880, Box 1/4
- Collection: United Press International collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Tombs & sepulchral monuments--Maine--Gray
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Graves--Photographs
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.