Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
James G. Sanborn of Portland was 23 when he enlisted in Co. H of the 5th Maine Infantry Regiment on June 24, 1861 as a corporal. He was promoted to full sergeant on June 15, 1862.
Among his effects was this drawing of his winter quarters in 1863.
Written on the drawing is, "Winter Quarters of Sergeant Sanborn Tho Lawrence John Jordan & Anthony Gould Winter of 1863 at Hazel River, Va."
Sanborn was mustered out on July 27, 1864.
About This Item
- Title: Sgt. James Sanborn drawing, Virginia, 1863
- Creator: Sanborn, James
- Creation Date: 1863
- Subject Date: 1863
- State: VA
- Media: Pencil on paper
- Local Code: Coll. S-5371
- Collection: James G. Sanborn papers
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Hazel River (Virginia)
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Social aspects
- Sanborn, James--Homes and haunts--Virginia--Hazel River
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment and supplies
- United States. Army--Military life
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1864)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.