Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Mary King Southgate (1799-1829), the daughter of Mary King and Robert Southgate of Gorham and Scarborough, wore coral jewelry in this image of her, a painting probably made from a portrait. Robert Southgate was a prominent physician, judge, and businessman.
In 1824, she married Grenville Mellen (1799-1829), a lawyer and poet who was the son of Maine's first chief justice, Prentiss Mellen.
About This Item
- Title: Mary King Southgate, Scarborough, ca. 1870
- Creation Date: circa 1870
- Subject Date: circa 1870
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Paint on cardboard; carte de visite; photograph
- Dimensions: 12.2 cm x 9 cm
- Local Code: A67-621
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Coral jewelry
- Dress accessories
- Mellen, Mary King Southgate, 1799-1829--Associated objects
- Mellen, Mary King Southgate, 1799-1829--Portraits
- Southgate, Mary King, 1799-1829--Associated objects
- Women--Clothing & dress
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.