Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Elbridge Stoneham of Portland took part in the First Parish Church "Exhibition of Pictures" event on Dec. 15, 1923.
Twenty-nine church members dressed as noted paintings and posed inside a large gold frame with another frame in front of it. Historical information about the paintings and music accompanied the "exhibition."
Stoneham was dressed as Portrait of Durer, by Himself, painted by Albrecht Durer (1471-1528) in 1498, when he was 26 years old. Durer was considered the greatest artist of the Northern Renaissance.
About This Item
- Title: Elbridge Stoneham as 'Portrait of Durer,' Portland, 1923
- Creation Date: 1923-12-15
- Subject Date: 1923-12-15
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 20 cm
- Local Code: Photographs--Portland-Churches--First Parish
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- First Parish Church (Portland, Me.)--Performances
- First Parish Church (Portland, Me.)--Social aspects
- Stoneham, Elbridge--Performances
- Durer, Albrecht, 1471-1528--Portrayals
- First Parish Church (Portland, Me.)--Exhibitions & displays
- Durer, Albrecht, 1471-1528--Portraits
- First Parish Church (Portland, Me.)--People
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.