Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The 17th Maine Infantry is pictured on May 3, 1864, with some of the men identified. The photo was taken in Northern Virginia on the day the regiment broke camp to begin its summer campaign.
At left is the regimental band.
The named soldiers, with lines drawn from their names to them are, from left, Sgt. Charles R. Todd, holding the flag; Surgeon Nahum A. Hersom of Sanford, Lt. George A. Whidden of Westbrook, Co. I; Lt. Wellington Hobbs of Norway, Co. H; Capt. Joseph A. Perry of Portland, Co. F; Sgt. J.M. Hall, Co. F; Lt. Henry L. Bartels of Portland, Co. F; Capt. Sumner S. Richards of Saco, Co. K.; Lt. Benjamin Doe of South Berwick, Co. K; Lt. Franklin C. Adams of Saco, Co. K; Lt. Grenville F. Sparrow of Portland, Co. B; Lt. James S. Roberts of Portland, Co. A; Lt. Robert H. Mathes of Durham, N.H., Co. A; Lt. William H. Sturgis of Standish, Co. C; Lt. Frederick A. Sawyer of Portland, Co. E; Lt. Charles C. Cole of Hiram, Co. E; Capt. William H. Green of Portland, Co. G; Lt. Gustavus C. Pratt of Oxford, Co. D; and Lt. Stephen Graffam of Portland, Co. D.
In the front is Col. George Warren West of Portland. Also named, but without lines indicating their positions are Chaplain J.F. Lovering of Portland, Capt. John C. Perry of Portland, Co D, acting field officer; Capt. George W. Verrill of Norway, Co. E, acting adjutant; and Asst. Surgeon Nathaniel B. Coleman of Portland.
Col. West, whose home in Portland is now the Children's Museum, suffered a number of serious injuries during the Wilderness battle.
About This Item
- Title: 17th Maine Infantry volunteers, 1864
- Creation Date: 1864-05-03
- Subject Date: 1864-05-03
- County: Spotsylvania
- State: VA
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 21 cm x 29 cm
- Local Code: Photographs--OS--Box 1 ; P837-8
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x219
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Wilderness, Battle of the, Va., 1864
- 17th Maine Infantry Volunteers
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Campaigns--Wilderness, Battle of the, 1864
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Regimental Histories--Photographs
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Photographs
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 17th (1862-1865)
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Regimental Histories
- Seventeenth Maine Infantry Volunteers
- Todd, Charles R.
- Whidden, George A.
- Hobbs, Wellington
- Perry, Joseph A.
- Hall, J. M.
- Bartels, Henry L.
- Richards, Sumner S.
- Doe, Benjamin
- Adams, Franklin C.
- Sparrow, Grenville F.
- Roberts, James S.
- Mathes, Robert H.
- Sturgis, William H.
- Sawyer, Frederick A.
- Cole, Charles C.
- Green, William H.
- Pratt, Gustavus C.
- Hersom, Nahum A.
- Lovering, J. F.
- Perry, John C.
- Verrill, George W.
- Coleman, Nathaniel B.
- West, George Warren
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.