Merrill Memorial Monument, Cumberland Center, ca. 1928
This postcard shows the William Merrill Monument which was dedicated May 30, 1928. This memorial was erected by William Merrill's only son, Edwin R. Merrill, a year after his father's death. The monument bears three commemorative panels.
The FRONT PANEL: In commemoration of the men of Cumberland, Maine, who served their country on land and sea in all wars of the nation.
The RIGHT PANEL: The demands for loyalty to a country is as great upon the sons as they are upon the sires. The safety of the country lies in the intelligence, the moral character, the patriotism of its citizens.
The LEFT PANEL: Cumberland honors her sons and daughters who have shown their loyalty, self-sacrifice, and devotion to preserve and cement the Union in the days of the Civil War, 1861-1865.