Contributed by Farnsworth Art Museum through Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum and Arctic Studies Center
Austin Cary, Bowdoin class of 1887, from Machias, poses with a canoe paddle. Cary was a member of the Grand River Party, and was one of two men to reach the Grand Falls deep in interior of Labrador.
The Grand River Party was an off-shoot of the Bowdoin College Scientific Expedition to Labrador, which explored the coast of Labrador in the summer of 1891.
About This Item
- Title: Austin Cary posing with equipment, Labrador, 1891
- Creation Date: 1891
- Subject Date: 1891
- State: Labrador
- Media: Photographic print
- Local Code: 1996.11.25
- Collection: Farnsworth Art Museum - Rockland Camera Club Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Peary-MacMillan Arctic Museum and Arctic Studies Center
Bowdoin College, 9500 College Station, Brunswick, ME 04011-8495
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Arctic regions--Discovery and exploration
- Scientific expeditions--Arctic regions
- Scientific expeditions--Arctic regions--Equipment and supplies
- Bowdoin College--People
- Grand Falls Expedition
- Bowdoin College Scientific Expedition to Labrador
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.