Contributed by Lubec Landmarks
The only intact herring cart present when Lubec Landmarks acquired McCurdy's in 1995.
This innovation of the 70s was used to move the filled herring sticks from the Pickling Shed, out onto the wharf to drain and dry somewhat, and into the smokehouses.
At the end of the smoking, they were used to move the "handed down" sticks into the Skinning Shed.
About This Item
- Title: Wheeled herring cart, Lubec, ca. 1970
- Creation Date: circa 1970
- Subject Date: circa 1970
- Town: Lubec
- County: Washington
- State: ME
- Media: Metal
- Dimensions: 58.42 cm x 93.98 cm x 231.14 cm
- Local Code: LL 009.A5
- Object Type: Physical Object
For more information about this item, contact:Lubec Landmarks
, Lubec, ME
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Herring industry--Equipment and supplies
- Fish canneries--Maine--Lubec
- Smoked meat--Maine--Lubec
- Canned fish industry--Maine--Lubec
- Food industry--Maine--Lubec
- Herring industry--Maine--Lubec
- Carts & wagons--Maine--Lubec
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.